Thursday 4 December 2014

Task 3c: Sources of Information

There are so many ways to find out information nowadays.  Theres the traditional way of meeting with people and talking face to face and a more obvious choice of searching on the internet.  

As the internet is becoming more accessible to everyone is has become the easiest way to find out information however I do not trust its reliability. For auditions I use "the stage" a online site that gives listings of mainly open auditions and information about them.  I do think this is a trusted site as I know many performers use it and it has never let me down. For researching I have used wikipedia, as it is normally the first link that comes out on google but is it reliable? I do believe that some of the information is truth but I also look elsewhere just to check.  I think the reason for this is that members of the public can update the website which makes it unreliable.

Google is a search engine that I use regularly and is a good way to view different links on the same page.  It is also very quick and lists the sites in most popular at the top which is very useful.  I do think that I take google for granted as it is so fast at retrieving information.

I do think that newspapers are the best way of finding information on world topics but although it is not much, you do need to pay which makes people use the internet more.  Using the internet is also more convenient as people don't even have to leave their house to get information.

The layout on the internet is so important to me as it makes it easier to read and understand information.  If the site I am viewing is just a block of writing I will normally close the page and use another as it looks too long and boring to read.  I have tried my best to make my blogs as reader as possible so that I can look back on my work and be able to understand relate to it quickly.  I have therefore put different size fonts and used bold and italic in places so that I know where the key information is.

I do rely on the internet far too much and I am now looking into other sources such as books and newspapers.  I did buy a newspaper recently and I found that the information is similar to the internet but written in a different way.  It also has a lot of relevant content which I found interesting as it all related.  In the future I will look into reading more books and journals as it may give different information that I may find useful.

1 comment:

  1. I am the same and unfortunately rely on the internet, possibly too much. But I think that the ease of use available to us now makes it the easiest option to source information. With the use of apps and mobile phones having the gull capability to find out information quickly, of course it will mostly be the favourable form of information to use! I do think that I should use books as a different source now that I am more aware of the negative uses of the internet but I think the internet will always be the one that I will reach for first!

    ReplyDelete