Wednesday 26 November 2014

Task 2c: Reflective Theory

Before starting this module I have kept a diary but haven't really thought about how useful it is until now.  Looking back I feel I could have expanded more and added more depth but it was still an interesting read and I learnt a lot.  I haven't really been aware of using reflective practices in my profession until now as I have never thought about using it.  From learning of different ways of reflection I do believe that it is useful and I will use it in the future.
This module has inspired me to try out new ways of journal writing and how it can be used as a positive tool of reflecting.

People come across new ideas by having an experience and then reflecting on those experiences.
John Dewey 'reflective thought an active, persistent, and careful consideration of any belief or supposed form of knowledge in the light of the grounds that support it and the further conclusions to which it tends' (Dewey 1933)




Action and Research
Dewey and Lewin have informed the work of David Kolb.  Kolb invented the idea of the learning cycle.  It has four stages:
  • Concrete Experience - by doing something
  • Reflective Observation - by watching people around them
  • Abstract Conceptualisation - by working it out there head first 
  • Active Experimentation - start learning when they start trying it out

Your entry point in the learning cycle is where you find meaning and start to learn.  This cycle is a tool for approaching experience and different ways of learning.

My starting point would be "choose a model or goal" for instance by aim is to become a west end performer.  I then compare it to reality, to me it seems unlikely but possible as there are many obstacles on the way.  I first would need to audition, pick the right song and make sure I am exactly what the casting directors are looking for. For instance I may not be the right look/height/ability that they are looking for.  I have selected the problem of style and appearance. Even though I cannot change my ethnicity/facial features I can maybe change my make up to make it more suitable for the role.  I could also change my clothing, maybe be wearing tight fitting/loose clothing or maybe wear brighter colours to make me stand out more.  I feel the best way to learn from auditions is to look around at other people.  I purposely look at everyone looking at their clothing, ability and looks so that when the casting directors say names of candidates for recalls I can tell what kind of dancers they are looking for.  Sometimes this may not be the case as they may want a variety of different people but usually companies normally cast dancers who are a certain height,build and look.


Multiple Intelligences, VAK
Howard Gardner looked into how people have different ways to understand and engage with learning.  He introduced the idea of multiple intelligences to prove that people are intelligent in many ways.

  • Spatial
  • Verbal-Linguistic 
  • Logical Mathematical 
  • Bodily- Kinaesthetic 
  • Musical
  • Interpersonal (e.g. friends and relationships)
  • Intrapersonal (e.g understand the emotional life of yourself and others)
  • Naturalistic (e.g find meaning the natural world)
This is a useful theory as it makes us aware when reflecting on your own engagement with experience and learning. Gardner also introduced the idea of Visual, Auditory and Kinaesthetic learners (VAK) This is the idea of thinking of multiple ways to view things.  Gardner uses the concept of multiple "lenses" to look through at learning and being a learner.  It is therefore a tool in which you and others learn and makes us engage in different ways to real experiences.


Multiple Intelligences, Artistic Vision
Peter Honey and Alan Mumford created four stages based on Kolb's ideas.

Dewey, Lewin, Kolb, Gardner, Honey and Munford all suggest that we have different ways to engage with experience. This in turn is valuable to us as it is important to find your own way of thinking that is beneficial to you.


Reflection-in-action and Reflection-on-action
Donald Schon introduced the idea of reflection-in-action (In the middle of it) and reflection-on-action (Looking back on it). Dancers use the concept of  reflection-in-action most as they need to respond what is happening when it happens.  For example in a dance routine and the dancer isn't in time with the music, the dancer will need to ask why this is happening and then change it almost immediately. I do personally think this is a good concept as it wastes no time and your ideas are always fresh and new.  Kottcamp's has also discussed that if a dancer waits until the evening to go over their routine it is much harder for them.  However if an individual is not used to this concept it may not be as valuable to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment