Friday 28 November 2014

Task 2d: Inquiry

At the moment I am working part time at my local primary school as I am thinking of being a primary school teacher.  What excites me about this job is seeing children learn and progress over time, to me this is really rewarding. The teacher who I normally work is only recently qualified but has worked as a teaching assistant for seventeen years.  I really admire her as the way that she teaches is really inspiring.  She is really enthusiastic and deals with situations really well.  I would like to work with more teachers in the future so that I can learn from another teaching style and gain more experience.

What made me sad at college is that not the hard working consistent student will get the job.  I very rarely had the day off and I was always on time for classes but that never really got me anyway.  There were a few people who, without a doubt are very talented people but they would never turn up or were late for class and still managed to get a principal role in the college shows.  After a while I did feel like giving up as I would work so hard to practice my songs and dances to know that I would never get chosen, so I thought what was the point.  I did feel like this for my whole time at college and it made me lose my self confidence.  It wasn't until I got my first job at Disneyland that I felt good enough to do what I love.

I love musical theatre in every shape and form.  I see shows far too regularly and listen to musicals every day.  The reason I would love to be in musical theatre is that I enjoy becoming another character as well as having to sing, dance and act.  My idol is Lea Solonga, the original Kim in Miss Saigon and the voice of Mulan and Jasmine in Aladdin.  The reason I admire her so much is that she is very modest and in her own cabaret nights, she invites a guest to sing with her.  I would love to be as successful as her in the future.  


I got told from a teacher at college that 'if you can do something else then do that' I know that this is a hard industry and you have to truly love it and be determined to do well.  It can also get very hard at times as you get rejected more times than you are successful.  My aim is to remain positive and motivated as I may get lucky some day.

I feel that I don't know the industry as well as should.  I know a lot about musical theatre, composers, songs etc but I don't know much about agents and how casting works.  I am currently looking for a new agent having lots of problems with my last one.  I am finding it quite hard as I am currently not performing in a show to invite an agent to watch.  I started by getting "contacts" a book which has lots of agents, photographers etc.  It was a recommendation and I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone in the industry as there is a lot of useful information in it.  It has taken me a long time to read and research each agent to see what kind of people are in their books but I am still a bit clueless of how to approach them.  I unfortunately do not have enough content to make a showreel and as I am currently not performing this is impossible to do.  I think this would be beneficial to do in the future and hopefully will be an obstacle I will overcome.

I do reflect more on myself nowadays as there thought had never really occurred to me until now.  I do think it is a useful force and I am now using it to grow as a performer. I am learning to reflect in many different ways such as photography and sketching. I do write in my journal everyday but I feel that the more resources I use the more useful it will become.  I have used the idea of multiple resources to find different ways of reflecting.  I know that I am more musical and bodily-kinaesthetic but I also enjoy taking photos and drawing.   

No comments:

Post a Comment