Tuesday 28 April 2015

Critical Reflection on Professional Practitioner Inquiry

I decided to pursue this course as I was working as a teaching assistant and wanted to become a primary school teacher.  Since then I was lucky enough to get an audition for west end show Miss Saigon and soon found my passion for performing again. I have since researched the industry in all aspects to get back into the musical theatre industry. I decided to focus on three main sectors of the industry: Auditions, Agents and Self-promotion as I feel by gaining more knowledge in these areas will help me secure professional work. I now know my strengths as a performer and am aware of what I would like to achieve in the future. Appendix A

Module 1 has introduced to various tools that have been very beneficial to me as a performer. I now have more knowledge in professional communication technologies such as web 2.0 Appendix B and have looked into expanding my professional network Appendix C. I have also found that journal writing and reflecting has also been useful tool and I will continue to use these in the future. Appendix D

In Module 2 I have developed tools for a professional inquiry. I have based my inquiry on what I want to achieve in my career and for me that is getting a professional job.  I am looking into different ways of doing this as well as talking to various performers and their opinions on my inquiry. This information has been valuable to me as I have managed to find different ways to find out about auditions. I have also been introduced the importance of professional ethics and how they apply to the industry.Appendix E

Developing Lines of Inquiry

Deciding my award title was fairy easy for me as I know that I would like a career in Musical Theatre and that is where I have considerable knowledge of this industry Appendix F. From researching and questioning various people in the industry I have found myself exploring unexpected ideas that I as a performer were unaware of, these ideas have been useful and has widen my knowledge of the industry.Appendix G

I created a SIG group where members can discuss their knowledge of the industry to help each other out. Appendix H As well as my own I have joined other groups so that I can share my knowledge and also help out other people on the course Sian Turner's SIGThis is a efficient way of sharing ideas with other members who share the same interests and asking for advice on specific topics.  I will continue to keep discussing my relevant topic with my SIG group.

Professional Ethics

I have learnt about the importance of ethics in the performing industry and how it can affect a performers career.  My knowledge of how be ethical in my workplace and how to deal with ethical situations that occur.  By reading and discussing ethical issues on my blog and SIG group I have developed a clear understanding of ethic issues and how it will enhance my understanding to becoming a professional in the industry. Appendix I

Tools of Professional Inquiry

Although searching for literature regarding my inquiry was difficult I did manage to find some useful books and articles that have been beneficial to me. Appendix J The books I found were both written by performers themselves so I therefore had first hand experience from performers working in the industry.  These books not only gave advice but also gave relevant information about the industry. Reading these books have really inspired and motivated me to become part of the industry.

By creating surveys I have managed to gather a great range of data that I have analysed which will hopefully benefit me in the future. My Survey I have become pro active with my focus group so that I can discuss relevant topics that have helped toward my inquiry.   


Bibliography


Hart, C,1998, Doing a Literature Review, London: Sage Publications Ltd. 

Bell, J, 2005 Doing Your Research Project (4th ed), Milton Keynes: Open University Press.

Blaxter, L., Hughes, C., and Tight, M., 2001, How to Research(2nd ed), Milton Keynes: Open University Press. 

Devlin, P, 1959, The Enforcement of Morals, Oxford:Oxford Paperbacks.

Institute for Work Based Learning, Middlesex University, 2009 Literature Review Handbook- Module WBS 3435 Undergraduate Studies, London: Middlesex University.

Institute for Work Based Learning, Middlesex University, 2013, Principles Of Professional Inquiry Reader 4 Module 3630 Undergraduate Studies, London: Middlesex University.


Institute for Work Based Learning, Middlesex University, 2013, Principles Of Professional Inquiry Reader 5 Module 3630 Undergraduate Studies, London: Middlesex University.


Institute for Work Based Learning, Middlesex University, 2013, Principles Of Professional Inquiry Reader 6 Module 3630 Undergraduate Studies, London: Middlesex University.

1 comment: