Saturday 11 April 2015

Task 5C: Professional Ethics

From reading reader 5 I had a lot to think about my approach to professional ethics.  Reader 5 explains that 

"Ethics is frequently not a case of black and white – where an action is either right or wrong. Often, it is rather a grey area where there is uncertainty and where other issues and considerations can affect outcomes."  

I found this interesting as everyone has different views of situations and that there can be many outcomes to a particular topic.

I recently read an article on how artists make a living. This explained that bills need to be paid so performers have to find a way to make ends meat even though the job has nothing to do with performing. 

I have got a job in retail on a zero hour contract.  Its good for auditions as I can book days off without any fuss but some weeks I don't get any work.  This is annoying for me as a performer as I need to earn to pay bills and pay for travel which costs me between £20-£30 just to get into London.  The only other option I can think of is to move to London, but with the cost of housing and food I think I will struggle to live.  I am finding it hard to find work that has the hours that I want and will allow me to have the flexible to attend auditions with such short notice.

I think that teachers/tutors should give advice to their students about ethics in the industry. I have never done any unpaid or low paid work, mainly as I don't really trust them and was afraid that it would damage my career.  I found that in my time at college although I learnt a lot about my craft, I wasn't aware of these opportunities and wether they would be beneficial to me or not.  I would really like to gain experience where ever I can but is unpaid work going to get me where I want to be?

Check list for auditions:
  • What time is the audition?
  • Where is the audition taking place and what sort of venue is it? 
  • What is the casting agent's name and telephone number/s? 
  • What am I going to eat/drink before I go?
  • What am I going to wear? 
  • How much time do I need to hair and make-up?
  • How much time do I need to warm-up?
  • How long do I need to travel to my destination?
  • What will I do if I have travel delays?
  • What do I need to take with me and in what bag?
  • Do I have my up-to-date CVs and Headshots ready?
  • What music do I need?
  • Is my music marked properly and clearly for the audition pianist?
  • How will I quickly and efficiently the audition pianist in tempo and cuts?
  • Am I bringing dance shoes or extra clothing?
  • If the audition lasts all day, what am I going to eat?
  • What am I going to do to warm-up and stay loose right before I go in?
  • How am I going to handle speaking to those registering me for the audition?
  • How am I going to juggle running into fellow competitors, friends and adversaries?

No comments:

Post a Comment